Everything to Know: A Move to Clute, TX

There is a lot to consider when moving, regardless of the destination. But if you’re thinking of a move to Clute, TX, it’s essential to know what you’re getting yourself into first. This guide will give you all the info you need about life in Clute so that you can make the best decision for your family. We’ve got you covered, from the cost of living and housing market to schools and amenities! Keep reading to learn more.

Is Clute Safe?

According to Neighborhood Scout, Clute has a crime index of 20. A crime index of 20 indicates that Clute is less safe than only 80 percent of all US cities. In short, Clute is less secure than the average US town. Similarly, Clute also scores lower than the average US community with a population of around 11,000 people. The crime rate in Clute is 25 per 1,000 residents, 84 percent of which are property offenses, with the remaining 16 percent being violent offenses. A crime rate of 25 offenses per 1000 people is high relative to comparable-sized towns in Texas. On the positive side, repeat offenders commit most of the crimes, lowering your chance of becoming a random victim. The Clute Police Department also maintained a strong community presence so that crime does not affect the town’s quality your life.

What is Clute Known For?

Clute is the “Hub of Brazosport.” As one of the “Old 300” of Texas, Alexander Calvit first settled the area of Clute in 1824. The Old 300 were the first homesteaders to receive a land grant from Stephen F. Austin’s original colonial contract. In 1881, Soloman J. Clute bought the land title and sold the property to his brother George Clute, and the town earned its name. The city developed within the industrial environment of the Brazosport region, home to Dow Chemical Company and several ship-channel construction companies. Clute grew large into a large enough town for Texas to incorporate by 1952.

Clute’s most significant claim to fame is the discovery of a mammoth behind the Brazoswood High School in 2003. The 38,000-year-old mammoth was named Asiel, and it was the first mammoth to be discovered along the Gulf Coast.

Is Clute a Good Place to Live?

Clute is home to a diverse population of 11,724 people, and the population growth is a solid 2.9 percent. Compared to the rest of the country, Clute’s cost of living is 13.8 percent lower than the US. The affordability of living in Clute makes it a good starting point for young professionals and new families. The standard value of a home in Texas is $295,319. The median home value in Clute is $200,800. And the appreciation rate of Clute’s housing market over the past ten years is an impressive 7.7 percent. This means Clute is a promising place to invest in a home that promises to pay future dividends.

As a Houston suburb, Clute benefits from all the amenities you would expect to find in a large metropolis: restaurants, shopping, cultural events, etc. Yet it also has all the advantages of a suburb: close-knit neighborhoods, spacious homes, stable career opportunities, and above-average schools. Like many Texas towns in Greater Houston, Clute suffers from humid springs, sultry summers, and cool winters.

What to Do in Clute?

The town famously hosts the annual Great Mosquito Festival. Clute also boasts the Brazosport Center for the Arts & Sciences, renowned as one of the finest museums in Texas. Located beside Lake Jackson, Clute is also home to truly remarkable natural areas, like the Texas Sea Center and Mammoth Lake. With plenty of festivals, museums, natural areas, and dive parks to choose from, there’s something for everyone in this charming town nestled along the Gulf Coast.

For a more thorough index of Clute’s attractions and activities, check out another list: Best Things to Do in Clute, TX.

Conclusion

Clute, TX is a great place to move to. With its affordable housing, low cost of living, and friendly community, it’s no wonder why this small town has been growing in popularity over the past few years. If you’re looking for a relaxed place to call home, consider moving to Clute.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *