What to Know Before You Move to Pasadena, TX

Are you considering a move to Pasadena, TX? If so, there are some things you should know before making your decision. Pasadena is a great city with plenty of things to do, but it also has its share of drawbacks. In this post, we’ll take a look at both the pros and cons of moving to Pasadena so that you can make an informed decision.

Is Pasadena Safe?

According to Neighborhood Scout, Pasadena has a crime index of 15. A crime index of 15 signifies that Pasadena is safer than only 15 percent of all US cities, meaning that Pasadena is considerably less safe than the average US town. However, when you consider community size, the safety of Pasadena is average for communities with a population of around 150,000 people. Similarly, the crime rate in Pasadena is 29 per 1,000 residents, 81 percent of which are property offenses, with the remaining 19 percent being violent offenses. So Pasadena is neither safer nor more dangerous than the average Texas town of a similar size; it’s right in the middle of the pack.

What is Pasadena Known For?

John H. Burnett founded Pasadena in 1893. The town was named after Pasadena, CA because of the area’s lush environment. In 1894, the Houston Railroad incorporated Pasadena into the area’s railroad system, which brought farming to the budding community. However, the Galveston hurricane of 1900 devastated Gulf Coast farming communities like Pasadena. So the American Red Cross delivered 1.5 million strawberry plants to towns along the Houston railroad.

Strawberry farms thrived in the town’s lush ecosystem. And Pasadena quickly established itself as the “Strawberry Capital of the South.” In honor of that title, the Pasadena Strawberry Festival is held annually on the third weekend of May. The festival’s highlight is the World’s Largest Strawberry Shortcake, which measures 2,073 square feet.

Additionally, the discovery of oil brought new wealth and opportunity to the area. And Pasadena soon became a thriving town. In 1940, Pasadena maintained a population of 3,436. By 1950, the population of Pasadena grew to 22,483 as WWI facilitated industrialism along the Gulf Coast. The postwar boom transitioned Pasadena’s economy from farming into industry centered around oil refining, ship-channel building, factories, and aerospace.

The Urban Cowboy lifestyle celebrates the working-class heroes of America: cowboys, truckers, factory workers, and so on. Pasadena became the epicenter of this movement when the film “Urban Cowboy” was released in 1980. The movie stars John Travolta as an oil worker who moves to Pasadena to work at the rodeo. The film notably featured a legendary bar in Pasadena: Gilley’s, the largest enclosed bar in the world at the time. Unfortunately, a fire would later destroy Gilley’s. But the original sign remains a memorial to the birthplace of the Urban Cowboy mythos.

Is Pasadena a Good Place to Live?

Pasadena has come a long way since it was first established as a sleepy bedroom community for Houston. Today, this thriving Texas town is one of America’s best under-the-radar suburbs. This vibrant community offers the best of both city and suburban living. With a thriving job market and a flourishing housing market, Pasadena is perfect for young professionals and families alike. As a Houston suburb, Pasadena also benefits from all the amenities you would expect to find in a large metropolis: restaurants, shopping, cultural events, etc. Yet it also has all the advantages of a suburb: close-knit neighborhoods, spacious homes, green parks, and top-tier schools. The lush environment and year-round Gulf Coast weather are also appealing features of this charming town.

What to do in Pasadena?

The city is home to a number of popular tourist attractions, including the Pasadena Historical Museum, Bay Area Museum, Armand Bayou Nature Center, Pasadena Rodeo, and San Jacinto Strawberry Festival. Visitors can learn about the city’s history at the Pasadena Historical Museum, explore its art and culture at the Bay Area Museum, or enjoy its natural beauty at the Armand Bayou Nature Center. The Pasadena Rodeo is a popular annual event, and the San Jacinto Strawberry Festival is one of the largest festivals in the state of Texas.

For more things to do, check out another list: Best Things to Do in Pasadena, TX.


Pasadena, TX is a great place to live. With plenty of things to do and a welcoming community, it’s easy to see why people love calling this city home. If you’re looking for a new place to settle down or just want to check out what all the fuss is about, be sure to add Pasadena, TX to your list of places to visit. Who knows? You may end up falling in love with this charming city just like everyone else has!

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *